Electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators

I’m hoping to provide a few useful links and some insight to every one with this blog post.  In the UK there are Electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators. These organisations inspect electricians and their work and if an electrician is part of one of these organisations its means that they are authorised by the government to  self certify that their work is compliant with Building Regulations.  This means their work must meet strict quality and safety requirements. The electricians work is regularly assessed to ensure their competance.

Heres a list of all the Electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators. If you’re hiring an electrician make sure they are a member of one of these organisations.

Electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators
SchemeBenchmark CertificationBESCABSIELECSA
Tel:02380 5170690800 652 55330845 086 90010333 321 8220
Electrical Competent Person Scheme Operators
Tel:0345 543 03300845 65850800845 65850800845 6211111

Here at Static Electrical Services we’re all NICEIC registered electricians as well as Registered Competent Persons (Electrical) were also trained to City & Guilds standards.


Electrical Regulations Explained

Since 2005 all electrical work (professional of DIY) must meet Part P standards – this is to make sure that every one is safe from electrical dangers. Part P applies to all new buildings and any alterations on existing buildings.

Some electrical work is notifiable (this means you must report it to your local building control) if you have work done, this includes:

  • circuit alteration or addition in a special location*
  • installation of one or more new circuits
  • installation of a replacement consumer unit (fuse box)
  • rewire of all circuits
  • partial rewire
  • new full electrical installation (new build)

Also take not if you have electrical work done to a room with a bath, shower, swimming pool, hot tub (water etc) this should also be reported to building control for safety checking.